[orbit-dev] Optional Dependencies in Recipes.

Hi Roland,

Line 12:  *
Although I didn't do this on the other lucene bundles, should we change the fallback to '*;resolution:=optional' in a separate commit ?

Initially I felt this makes it more work for packagers because if they miss any dependencies it can cause problems. One can still use wildcards, just not in this exact manner.

I discovered that OSGi-ifying a library should force people to think about dependencies. A lot dependencies in a specific library are not required. For example, a lot Guava code can be used without sun.misc. If an import-package statement is not optional it makes the dependency greedy. My intent with adding "optional" to the default template was to make dependencies non-greedy by default and have recipes authors make the greedy ones explicit. I do expect recipe authors to know the dependency tree of a recipe.

In a perfect world we could remove the * (catch-all) import and fail a recipe build if any dependency is not covered in the bnd file. But it seems that bnd has no option to fail for such a missing entry?

-Gunnar

--
Gunnar Wagenknecht
gunnar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, http://guw.io/