From:        David M Williams/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS
To:        orbit-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx,
Date:        02/26/2016 12:27 PM
Subject:        [orbit-dev] Propose to formally change Orbit's policy on Bundle Retention in active builds
Sent by:        orbit-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

Our current retention policies are written up at
https://wiki.eclipse.org/Orbit/Promotion,_Release,_and_Retention_Policies

This note and proposed change is only about the "active build" part, at

https://wiki.eclipse.org/Orbit/Promotion,_Release,_and_Retention_Policies#Bundle_Retention_in_active_builds

We would still retain R-builds "forever".

I think the changes I am proposing are pretty obviously a good thing but we, the Orbit Project, should discuss and vote here on the mailing list to make sure there are no objections or problems with the proposal that I have not thought of.

The motivation for this change started by wanting to have a pristine repository as our last one, before moving to "the new system", but honestly, even if we were not moving to a new system, I think this new policy would make a lot more sense than the current policy.

Plus, I think what I am proposing will be a close fit for the plans for the new build system (once it gets finished). Once that new system gets closer to done we can change or reword as appropriate.

The fundamental change is that we currently say we will retain "3 versions" of a bundle in active builds. I'd like to change that to be "only 1 version, the most recent version, assuming older versions are in R-build repositories (with some exceptions)".

Sound OK?

The exceptions would be pretty accommodating to Eclipse projects, and would be
1) Upon request of an Eclipse Project.
2) Known cases where Eclipse Projects must use an older version in the current yearly release stream (either for the maintenance update release or the new release in June).
For example, javax.wsdl is available for both 1.6.2.v201012040545 and 1.5.1.v201012040544 and that is known case where WTP can not yet upgrade to the 1.6.2 version and wants to remain on the 1.5.1 version for now.
3) I do not know if we currently have any of this case, but there may be cases where "the most recent" version of Bundle X in Orbit requires a down level version of Bundle Y but others want to use a more recent version of Bundle Y. So we would leave both in "active builds".

Some might ask "why leave in active builds at all? Once a bundle is in an R-build why not stop building it". My reason for suggesting we keep in "active builds" is so that everything potentially needed by Eclipse Projects for the current yearly Simultaneous Release be in one repository. This helps to make sure everything still resolves correctly in a predictable way. Plus, I want to avoid cases where we have "differences in qualifier" from the most a recent R build and the active builds.  But, I am open to the idea that later, we might have even fewer bundles in "active builds" but for finishing off the "old build system", I think this incremental change is best. I am not sure how other projects build, and if having to specify multiple Orbit repositories would be a burden to them.  And for now, we want to encourage projects to use our Orbit I-builds or at least Milestones Builds.

Oh, and we also say "removals would be done by M6". While I think that is the correct long term target, I am not sure we can accomplish that during this transition period, so some removals may happen after M6.

So, please reply with +1 if you agree with these changes, especially the changing to "just 1, with some exceptions". Or, comment or suggest other wording if you think something else would be needed. In all cases, we want to "do the right thing" for other Eclipse projects, but I know for a fact we have a lot of "extra versions" of things that are very old, and no longer used by anyone in current development.  I'll follow the usual conventions of requiring at least 2 +1s, and no objections within one week to consider the matter "approved".