[orbit-dev] Ready for M7?

Orbit-eers,

I hope you all know M7 is coming up soon, M7+0 is 5/1. Which, means our Orbit S-build should be promoted this Friday, 4/24.

Now the the bad news. I've been trying to help the IT team upgrade some of the aging infrastructure, and it has turned out to be much more difficult than any of us imagined. They have made one huge improvement, to not "re-sign" bundles that have already been signed. That should lead to much more consistent repositories, and much fewer "verification errors".

But, that is the reason I have not promoted an I-build for a while even though I know there's been several additions and changes. Sorry for the delay.

The whole reason I have not promoted one is that I also improved the build, so the "reference repo" (used by "comparator" during mirroring) has been changed to be the most recent I-build on downloads server. I'm embarrassed to admit for years we've used "the last release" for reference repo (or, last milestone), but this means there can be are small checksum differences from milestone to milestone, and, of course I-build to I-build. In other words, we are responsible for some of the slop in the system, compounded by those that would "re-sign" our bundles.

Bottom line is, I don't want to promote another I-build until I am positive it is correct. (since, it will be the reference for the next I-build). And I should say positive it is correct, *or* positive we can not fix it for M7, in which case we'll "go back" to the old way (of using Java 6 to re-pack, sign, and pack200. (sigh... )

Hopefully in another day or two it'll will all get ironed out. (Watch Bug 463510  if interested in nitty-gritty ... and who wouldn't be!

If anyone want to look at just a few bundles to see if your fixes got in, you can always go the to committers area:
http://build.eclipse.org/orbit/committers/

But, best not to use those for builds yet, since otherwise, you'll be distributing ones that are "not right" and will have to "touch" it later, so there is more recent version.

If the Friday deadline is a little too tight, and you need another day or two, let me know.