Re: [orbit-dev] [eclipse-dev] OSGi reintroduction to Orbit

(note: discussion moved to orbit-dev)

Hi Krzysztof,

Although Orbit has a naming policy it usually only applies to JARs that do not come with OSGi metadata or where the original metadata is broken (for example, a too generic name that would clash with other libraries).

The javax.mail example is a typical one. When it was added to Orbit, the original libraries did not supply a BSN. As you wrote, this changed with 1.5 for the Oracle provided one. Orbit contains both - an old 1.4.0 Sun implementation and a 1.4.1 implementation from Glassfish. Those are two different bundles. Thus, I think it's not a matter of using "wrong" BSNs.

Maybe it helps if you elaborate a bit on your requirement. Knowing that you are busy at RedHat packaging Eclipse I suspect the requirement is about reducing duplicate content when installing Eclipse and other extensions. In an ideal word, dependencies from Orbit will be consumed using Import-Package. Thus, you could exchange the bundle with an alternative one. But then you still have to worry about features. They often reference bundles directly. But you could provide your own set of features that consumes only the bundles you want to include in the packaging.

As for changing bundles in Orbit it's a pretty straightforward approach:
1. convince project A to consume the new bundle
2. bring library into Orbit and make it available to project A
3. convince all the other projects consuming the same library to update as well

From my own experience I can say it's possible but it's (unfortunately) not as easy as the steps above seem to imply.

-Gunnar