[orbit-dev] promoted I-build: I20110114152740 ... and changes to download pages/structure

As mentioned earlier, I did a quick promote of the latest I-build .... several new bundles in there ...

http://download.eclipse.org/tools/orbit/committers/drops/I20110114152740/

But not felix.gogo. As I'd mentioned, I commented that out of feature.xml since it needs work still. Feel free to add back anytime you are ready. Note, also, I went ahead to took it off the "exclude from pack conditioning" list, since I was fixing other things in that buildutilities.xml file anyway. (I'm assuming that matches the plan ... feel free to add back if I've missed something).

One thing I've added to the download page is a pointer to our Orbit build repository ... pasted example below ... so Orbit committers please try it out! Now that we are advertising it ... it will likely get more use ... and there are some oddities we should be prepared to answer .... or fix!

Such as ...

Why can't we install everything all at once from Orbit? p2 reports there are missing or conflicting dependencies. [I think I know at least part of the answer ... but I will have to look at it in detail, myself.]

= = = = =
Orbit Build Repository

A p2 repository for this specific build can be found by adding 'repository' to the end of this download site URL, namely:
http://download.eclipse.org/tools/orbit/committers/drops/I20110114152740/repository/

= = = = =

I'll also send a note to cross-project about other upcoming site improvements:

1. will remove the old, legacy massive zip file, and replace it with the equally massive archived p2 repository.

2. will remove the legacy "updateSite" URL ... we never advertised that old update manager URL ... but, just in case anyone "discovered" it on their own ... it is being removed. (It just points to the p2 'repository' site, so there is an easy migration, if anyone did happen to sue "updateSite").

3. Will remove the redundant "bundles" directory ... since p2 is better ... but will need to do some work to document on web page which should be unzipped in dropins folder (for those cases where people might have been downloading just a few bundles and putting into their dropins folder. Other than that download-individual-bundles-that-need-to-be-unzipped case, the removal of "bundles" directory should be transparent to consumers ... unless they were taking advantage of it in some undocumented way. The  only place used (besides the individual bundles link on download page) was in the "get via http" map files ... as long as being used as intended ...  map files with PDE build ... then should be transparent.

comments welcome in bug 274837

Back to the top