Re: [orbit-dev] A (small) change to our retention policy ...

Good suggestions ... below is what I wrote for now ... in http://wiki.eclipse.org/Orbit/Promotion%2C_Release%2C_and_Retention_Policies#Bundle_Retention_in_active_builds
 ... improvements welcome.

I'm not sure what to say about the psf file ... I do not personally use it (maybe I will now :) ... and there is one produced during a build as well as the one in cvs. I assume the one on download page is based on what's built? Or is it just checked out? (It does seem different, so assume the build one is auto created, and the one in cvs is "hand" created ... so I just said "update if desired".  Since apparently it is updated as desired to begin with.

Good idea to leave in the iplog. I could be convinced to remove it ... but makes it _much_ easier for users trying to find some old version.

I think the "exclude" list is almost always fine, since usually specified with wild cards, such as "icu*" ... but have mentioned it, in case becomes relevant for some cases.

I've also added a note about original Orbit CQ. I don't think there's anything mandatory to do there ... but as with the IP logs, provides a nice documentation trail.

  • Mechanics: When a bundle is to be removed from active builds, the following steps should be followed:
    • have a bugzilla entry that mentions what is being removed, when, and ideally states the "last good R-build" that contains the old version.
    • remove bundle entry from the feature.xml file (and release it for a build, at some point, when ready)
    • remove the bundle entry from the bundles.map file.
    • leave the entry in the IP Log file, but add a note that says something similar to "No longer in active builds since this version is no longer current. If required, please get from an older R-build repository, CVS, or open a bugzilla if needs to be re-instantiated in active builds".
    • ideally should update the original "Orbit CQ" to simply mention that version is no longer actively built by Orbit. This is just to help cross-reference information, in case someone is looking for that bundle. Orbit does, technically, still "distributes" it, since it is available in old repositories ... it is just an informational message.
    • update the orbit.psf file if desired.
    • There are some other files that may need updating ... but they usually will not, but can check these if there seems to be some problem:
      • the list of exclude-from-pack-conditioning list in buildutilities.xml (in org.eclipse.orbit.releng.builder project),
      • the config.properties in layout tests (in org.eclipse.orbit.releng.tests project).