Re: [orbit-dev] Build Links

I'm not sure I like the idea of a generic link. What would the repository look like? Would it be a composite repository pointing to X previous stable builds? What is the retention policy for this repository?

For me, the thing about including Orbit bundles in my build is that I want a specific version. The problem with a generic URL for the repo location is that if it is rolling, composite, etc there is a chance that my bundle version has been removed without me knowing.

I understand that the bundle versions don't often change for Orbit bundles but it does happen for bug fixes and minor updates. (e.g. got some legal doc wrong, added timezone data to ICU, or just a bug fix not worthy of a minor number increment)

With the current format I know exactly what version of my bundle I am getting and I am ensured that it exists in the repo I am pointing to.

Inactive hide details for Gunnar Wagenknecht ---02/22/2010 08:33:43 AM---Greetings Orbit Committers, I'm consuming bundles fromGunnar Wagenknecht ---02/22/2010 08:33:43 AM---Greetings Orbit Committers, I'm consuming bundles from Orbit in my builds using the p2 fetch

Gunnar Wagenknecht <gunnar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Orbit Developer discussion <orbit-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

02/22/2010 08:33 AM

[orbit-dev] Build Links

Sent by:

orbit-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

Greetings Orbit Committers,

I'm consuming bundles from Orbit in my builds using the p2 fetch
factory. I do this with the following entries in my map files.

Example:
plugin@org.apache.commons.codec,1.3.0=p2IU,id=org.apache.commons.codec,version=1.3.0.v20080530-1600,repository=http://download.eclipse.org/tools/orbit/downloads/drops/S20091026190351/updateSite
plugin@org.apache.commons.codec.source,1.3.0=p2IU,id=org.apache.commons.codec.source,version=1.3.0.v20080530-1600,repository=http://download.eclipse.org/tools/orbit/downloads/drops/S20091026190351/updateSite

However, this creates a hard reference to a static Orbit build. There
are pros and cons about this. Personally I think that the version tag
for the fetch factory (version=...) is sufficient for tracking purposes.
I now wonder if it's possible to create a link in the downloads area
which points to the latest stable build. This could be updated whenever
a new build is published.

Example:
http://download.eclipse.org/tools/orbit/downloads/drops/S-latest/updateSite

IMHO this would be another step in reducing the modification work
necessary when updating our map files.  :)

Thoughts?

-Gunnar

--
Gunnar Wagenknecht