Re: [orbit-dev] Some small changes in procedures ...

+1 on both items.

I personally like the idea of having the "release + milestone" in the bugzilla target (like David mentions below) as opposed to just the milestone and having a separate release flag to set. (mentioned in Christian's email) Mostly because that's what I'm used to and I know I will forget to add the flag to any bugs I fix. :-)

Inactive hide details for David M Williams <david_williams@xxxxxxxxxx>David M Williams <david_williams@xxxxxxxxxx>

          David M Williams <david_williams@xxxxxxxxxx>
          Sent by: orbit-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

          02/17/2009 02:59 AM

          Please respond to
          Orbit Developer discussion <orbit-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

orbit-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx

cc

Subject

[orbit-dev] Some small changes in procedures ...

I know I'm breaking my promise of "no changes" already :)

But, there's at least two things I think we can do better in Orbit.

First, I don't think bugs should sit in the "inbox" for along period of time. In most cases, it should be assigned to someone ... anyone, even if at first a half guess. This is mostly, in my view, to let the originator know it was read, and given some amount of triage (such as, that it appears to be a valid bugzilla entry, is in the right project, etc.). As for the person it is assigned to, it does not mean that person necessarily has to fix it, but maybe they are the most probable person to fix it ... or, the most probable person to know who else to assign it to! It is just a means to have someone somewhat responsible for it. I went though and triaged most that were in an 'inbox' state, and in most cases fairly obvious, but feel free to re-assign where I got it wrong.

Second, I think we should have milestone targets to mark when a bug gets fixed. Most projects do this, and I think some consumers use it to see what's new and changed. To me, it is not so much to announce what's new in Orbit (though, that's good too) but just as important is to help alert consumers when a bundle changes. Sometimes, for example, we change what's imported, exported, convert require bundle to import packages, etc. These "small" changes might not be obviously noticed, but a consuming project might want to do extra testing around some bundle that had changed its pre-req statements, for example.

So ... if others think it's a good idea, I will add Milestone Targets to Bugzilla soon, in the form of Galileo M5, Galileo M6, Galileo M7, Galileo RC1, etc.
If you think it's a bad idea, let us know that too.