Re: [orbit-dev] Orbit as a source of OSGi bundles for the world?

Wow, I read this and it was exactly what I would have said. Clearly David is project lead material :-)

Seriously though, during the creation of Orbit everyone was mindful of the real cost of putting things through the IP process.  Getting quality bundles is a real challenge today.  Many of the ones you find out there (and in Orbit) have issues.  The OSGi alliance is the ideal party to step up here but they don't have the resources.

In any event, as David says, the best we can really do not is to get all the Eclipse projects to *proactively* contribute their third party lib bundles to Orbit for everyone to use more easily.

Jeff

David M Williams wrote:

If I understand this post, I'll give my impression and advise.

I might be sort of vague in the charter, but Orbit is intended for and limited
to Eclipse ... that is, to fulfill the needs of other Projects in Eclipse.

This is mostly to bound the legal cost of the required IP work. Obviously,
once the work is done, for the Eclipse Projects, if others outside Eclipse
want to use it, then that's great and the nature of open source.

There's a philosophical issue, as well, in that it would be best to encourage everyone
that produces a jar to produce it with OSGi meta data and then the world would
not really need central repositories!
Orbit then would be simply a place to archive "prebuilt" jars.
Not sure how realistic that is in the short term, just wanted to remind everyone to remind
other "outside" projects to produce OSGi bundles.

At any rate, if you, or someone, really wanted to start an OSGi repository for jars that
were not required by specific Eclipse Projects, that would be significant enough to
merit a new project proposal, and put it through the normal process.
And, I don't mean to be pessimistic, but remember, you'll be asking the Eclipse
members to pay for things that are not really needed by Eclipse Projects.
They might go for that, just to promote Eclipse and OSGi ... but, I sort of doubt it.
But if you wanted to do that, it would deserve a full hearing that a Project Proposal would give it.

Thanks,

Inactive hide details for Oisin Hurley ---01/27/2009 04:58:15 AM---I've been watching the march of Orbit committers, and the flOisin Hurley ---01/27/2009 04:58:15 AM---I've been watching the march of Orbit committers, and the flood of IPzillae over the past few months

Oisin Hurley <ohurley@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Orbit Developer discussion <orbit-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

01/27/2009 04:58 AM

[orbit-dev] Orbit as a source of OSGi bundles for the world?

Sent by:

orbit-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

I've been watching the march of Orbit committers, and
the flood of IPzillae over the past few months. It's
impressive from any angle. And I've been thinking,
well, there's so much material there, and a good
clutch of committers, wouldn't it be an idea to ask
the Eclipse Foundation to help make it something more
generally useful to the general developer community,
something along the lines of the Spring Bundle
Repository[0]?

OSGi-ified jar files are becoming to certain extent
de rigeur these days, and I know from experience
that developers shuffle around in Orbit, and the
Spring Bundle Repo the Felix OBR, and the Geronimo
Maven repo, etc, etc, to find OSGi plugins for their
favo[u]rite jars. So there is a need there. Perhaps
the Foundation could make a bit more  use of their
'IP Value Add' in the Orbit case and maybe spruce
things up a bit? Some visual collateral and a
search engine would go a long way...

Just a thought. I didn't see any non-goals in this
regard to this, nor any scope narrowing, in the
proposal or other supporting documents on the web.

  --oh

[0]
http://www.springsource.com/repository/app/