[orbit-dev] Orbit as a source of OSGi bundles for the world?

I've been watching the march of Orbit committers, and
the flood of IPzillae over the past few months. It's
impressive from any angle. And I've been thinking,
well, there's so much material there, and a good
clutch of committers, wouldn't it be an idea to ask
the Eclipse Foundation to help make it something more
generally useful to the general developer community,
something along the lines of the Spring Bundle
Repository[0]?

OSGi-ified jar files are becoming to certain extent
de rigeur these days, and I know from experience
that developers shuffle around in Orbit, and the
Spring Bundle Repo the Felix OBR, and the Geronimo
Maven repo, etc, etc, to find OSGi plugins for their
favo[u]rite jars. So there is a need there. Perhaps
the Foundation could make a bit more  use of their
'IP Value Add' in the Orbit case and maybe spruce
things up a bit? Some visual collateral and a
search engine would go a long way...

Just a thought. I didn't see any non-goals in this
regard to this, nor any scope narrowing, in the
proposal or other supporting documents on the web.

  --oh

[0] http://www.springsource.com/repository/app/

Back to the top