[orbit-dev] How do we version-number unreleased W3C Working Drafts?

Hi, all,

I am back to looking at the Orbitization of Apache Batik 1.7 again, and have a new question.

Batik 1.7 has a JAR named batik-ext.jar which includes the original W3C sources of a working draft of the 1.0 version of the DOM Level 3 Events API. Version 1.0 is still in the WD phase at W3C, not yet released. I'm hoping to bundle this as an org.w3c.dom.events bundle.

So, my question is what kind of version number do I put on this package (it is only a single package) and, hence, the bundle? From one WD to the next, W3C makes incompatible API changes, so they really are quite distinct.

I propose  1.0.0.draft20060413_qualifier

This ensures that it is alphanumerically before an eventual 1.0.0.qualifier for the released version (which would start with "v" in the qualifier segment) but also correctly sorted relative to other WDs.

While we're at it, are there any opinions concerning how to name bundles that deliver different levels of the DOM APIs? Should I use something like org.w3c.dom.events.level3?

Thanks,

Christian

--
Christian W. Damus
Senior Software Developer, Zeligsoft Inc.

Back to the top