Re: [orbit-dev] How to name bundles from different implementers?

I have captured what I think is all the prevailing "advise" about how to name bundles from different implementers: use period ('.') and put vendor name at end of main package name (e.g. javax.mail.glassfish, javax.mail.geronimo, etc) ... AND to use 'vendor' attribute on export package directive. Let me know if I've missed anything.

http://wiki.eclipse.org/Bundle_Naming#Issue_3_:_Distinguishing_different_implementations

From: Jeff McAffer <jeff@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Orbit Developer discussion <orbit-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 07/29/2008 05:48 PM
Subject: Re: [orbit-dev] How to name bundles from different implementers?

forgot to put this in...

I'm happy with '.'.  Just makes it feel consistent.

Chris Aniszczyk wrote:

We could use a '-' (e.g javax.mail-glassfish_1.4.1). But PDE seems to barf on dashes in the BSN. What's up with that Chris?

Back in the day, "-" wasn't kosher in the plugin.xml (due to the plugin.dtd)

In 3.5, we are aiming to fix the '-' issue with a small fix already in 3.4.1 to help the SpringSource Bundle Repository guys who are a big fan of the "-" apparently :)

It's amazing that it took this many years for the issue to finally come up :)

--
Cheers,

~ Chris Aniszczyk