Re: [orbit-dev] move?

In any event, I don't think a TLP is right here. TLPs tend to gather together other projects and form some coherent whole. Currently, at least from the outside having Orbit in Tools does not appear coherent. (put it in perspective, it is not tragic or anything. This is more of a tweak than a fix to a problem).

Christian W. Damus wrote:
So, why would we not do the correct thing, then? Structure and process are very important at Eclipse. I would like to hear Bjorn's view on this.
Can you ping him on that?  Not sure he reads this list actively.
It seems to me that the effort required to become a TLP will be the same as to move to RT, mostly the kind of review required would be different (project promotion instead of project move).
The effort ot make a TLP is FAR greater. You have to have a formal charter, get board approval, etc etc. Putting together the RT TLP was a lot of work. It took quite some time and discussion across a very broad range of people to make that happen.
If we're to move, I would rather see the 3rd-party code become more isolated from the Eclipse-developed code with its own PMC. A TLP is well positioned to leave no confusion about third-party code being managed by some project.
Not sure what confusion there is now. The positioning of Orbit as a TLP or otherwise does not affect the IP process in any way.
Or, maybe the Technology project is a good home after all, with all of the "incubation" work that is also in an IP grey area of a different shade?
From an IP perspective Orbit is no any different. It happens that some of the workflows are optimized because Orbit has a very high volume of thirdparty use and project reuse but other than that the IP policy itself is mute on Orbit. Technology was an original suggestion but if I recall correctly, it was thought that the "incubation" label/cast was to be avoided since the things in Orbit are in general real and released etc.

Jeff

Cheers,

Christian