[orbit-dev] Re: Orbit packages with versions]

I am posting it again because it didnt appear on orbit-dev the first time (I had no user there)...
sorry for duplicate posting in the mailing list

christian campo

Christian Campo schrieb:
maybe its just my view of the current problem I am facing but I believe that setting no specific package version should mean that it is the same as the bundle version. For me package version is useful if you like to be more specific in specific packages in your bundle. At least that is true for classes that are located in the bundle. Probably its not true for packages that you import and export again. Hmmm its gets trickier the more you think about it.

Just setting it to 0.0.0 is not my prefered choice, because in the import I'd like to specify a minimum version that is not 0.0.0 but something higher. Does that require me to specify and maintain a version for each package ?

christian campo

Jeff McAffer schrieb:

moving this over to orbit-dev so we can get the dev team's point of view ...

Essentially we should be having versions on the export package statements as much as possible. the key question is what the version numbers should be and how do we figure that out. IMHO this should be an Orbit-wide effort/policy to avoid churn.

As for whether or not the behaviour you are seeing now makes sense, I believe that no version on export is the same as saying 0.0.0. If you then import and spec no version then you are good. It would be a good test to try importing with say [0.0.0,1.0.0) and see what happens.

Jeff

Christian Campo wrote:
Hi,

Riena uses two components that are maintained in Orbit that we have slight problem with. One is org.apache.log4j and the other is org.easymock. The problem is that the bundle specifies a bundle version but the packages have no such version.

Now we have a pretty keen user of Riena (a very nice person actually) who asked us the replace Require Bundle statements in our manfest files with import package statements. We did that but found out that Equinox or the PDE is not able to find a matching bundle if we import the package with version number.

The reason seems to be that if the bundle exports a package and does not specify a package version then it does not mean (as I would assume) that the package version is the bundle version but it is no version. So asking for a specific version of a package resolves to no bundle found.

1. Is that a bug or a feature that packages with no version info dont "inherit" the bundle version ?

2. I guess I have to bug the person who added the bundle to add the package version info ? right ?

thanks

christian campo

[...]

Back to the top