[orbit-dev] Orbit Endgame Build Schedule

Hi folks,

The Ganymede release is fast approaching so we need to come up with an end game plan for Orbit. It will be based on I-builds, S-builds, and then finally an R-build for the end. Here is a proposed schedule. Please take a look and let us know what you think.

Taken from the Ganymede wiki page (http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/Ganymede_Simultaneous_Release), here is the schedule for +0 projects on the release train:
May 16 - RC1
May 23 - RC2
May 30 - RC3
June 6 - RC4
June 13 - Ganymede

Here is the proposed Orbit build promotion schedule:

First, beginning May Monday, May 12'th, we'd start to produce only S-builds on the 'committers' download site.
Then, according to the schedule below, we'd promote what ever was the most recent S-build to the 'downloads' area for Ganymede
projects to consume. That is ... assuming there were any changes made from week to week (hopefully few! :)

May 12 - promote latest S-build to 'downloads'
May 19 - promote latest S-build to 'downloads', if needed
May 26 - promote latest S-build to 'downloads' if needed
June 2 - promote latest S-build to 'downloads' if needed

After June 2nd, we'd start to produce R builds on 'committers' site, and promote it as the final Ganymede orbit build on
June 9 - promote latest R-build to 'downloads'

Although Orbit is loosely treated as a -1 project, we propose that we promote the builds on the Monday, rather than the previous Friday. (the -1 day) This is to remove confusion from consumers because there is only 1 week in between release candidates in the Ganymede schedule. (not to mention, all projects are expected to compress their builds and turn around time during this ending period).

Also try to get your bundle changes into the build as soon as possible. The less changes we have to make near the end, the better.

Please send comments and concerns to this mailing list.
Thanks.

Back to the top