[orbit-dev] RE: Support for OSGi

Hello Niall,

it would be interesting for Eclipse consumers as
well to get Apache bundles with Meta-info already
applied.

Currently, the Meta-info is mostly added manually
as part of the Eclipse Orbit project.

I have had a brief look at your auto-generated
MANIFEST for commons net, and found a few issues:

http://people.apache.org/~niallp/commons-osgi/commons-net-1.5.0-SNAPSHOT
-MANIFEST.MF

1. Import-Package: examples;version="1.5.0.SNAPSHOT"
   this is just wrong. The commons net deliverable
   jar should not import examples.

2. Import-Package: org.apache.commons.net.smtp
   this is also wrong though less destructive.
   commons.net.smtp is really exported and not imported.

3. Export-Package:
org.apache.commons.net.smtp;uses:="org.apache.commons.net.io,org.apache.
commons.net"
   It's useless to add a "uses" directive for
   packages that are in the same bundle. At
   Eclipse-Orbit, we've found problems with "uses"
   and decided to no longer use it.

I guess that these should perhaps really be bug
reports against the Bnd utility which autogenerated
the Manifest; Tool: Bnd-0.0.227.

But for me, it also shows that in the current stage
it looks like the OSGi manifest still needs to be
written by hand and not auto-generated.

Anyways, if there is a plan to make a downloadable
release of any commons packages with OSGi info
added, I'd like to know.

Martin Oberhuber, Senior Member of Technical Staff, Wind River
http://www.eclipse.org/dsdp/tm