Re: [orbit-dev] Slf4j into Orbit

Oberhuber, Martin wrote:
Hi Thomas,

Getting your slf4j bundle into Orbit seems like a great idea,
especially taking into account that you have already mastered
a roadblock that everyone was likely to run into!

I'm wondering what kinds of org.slf4j.impl implementations you have already finished for Buckminster?

We have an implementation that redirects to the Buckminster logger that in turn uses the Eclipse logger. It consists of two classes. A factor with one method that returns an instance of the logger implementation (a one liner) and the implementation that dispatches the logger methods (about 30 methods with one line in each).

You can view both source projects in our SVN repository:

http://dev.eclipse.org/svnroot/technology/org.eclipse.buckminster/trunk/org.eclipse.buckminster.slf4j
http://dev.eclipse.org/svnroot/technology/org.eclipse.buckminster/trunk/org.slf4j.extendable

Also, I'm not sure I understand what you say about the extension
point. given that slf4j is quite low-level, doesn't that introduce an unwanted dependency on the Eclipse plugin
registry? Would it make sense to consider using an OSGi
Service instead? [haven't done that myself so far, though].
That would be another way to do it. I chose to use an extension since I felt that given some other OSGi framework you can probably use the SLF4J as it stands today and disregard the circular dependencies. It's only a problem when you use PDE.

My other thought is, is the circular dependency really a problem
for a user of the pre-built binary slf4j? I'd think that when
I have a circular dependency, and one part of the circle is
already built, fixed and unchangeable, the circle should break
by itself since it always ends at the pre-built item?

It becomes a problem for sure as soon as you want to create your own implementation. Using the existing binary implementations for say, log4j will work I guess. I haven't tried it though.

- thomas

Cheers,
--
Martin Oberhuber, Senior Member of Technical Staff, Wind River
http://www.eclipse.org/dsdp/tm