Re: [orbit-dev] Another exception to normal naming scheme: org.apache.xerces.xml.apis?

case in point, the versions in various JRE's, even in 1.4, are slightly different. And, very different in 1.3. I suspect they are the same in 1.5, but still subject to be "out of date" with the what ever is used by the latest and greatest Xerces implementation.

I've always looked at these API's as backward compatibility stuff, never needed when you are at 1.5 or later. AFAIK, Xerces is not the only implementation. Are you saying that the Xerces project actually change them and that people are using their prototype versions instead of the standard ones? If so, do we really want to maintain such prototypes in Orbit?

> Just out of curiosity, who needs these interfaces separately today?

You mean in Eclipse? No one _needs_ it, AFAIK ... some just thought it a good idea to be a bit smaller if someone was only using a one of the interfaces (if I recall right, though, javax.xml and org.sax both depend on org.w3c.dom, so in practice would never save too too much .. and, as it is, is only 200K now. (Which is why I am not too motiviated to do the investigation on wha and how different from the originals).

So ... did you have an alternative name that would be better than org.apache.xerces.xml.apis?

My suggestion (based on my belief that they are there for backward compatibility) would be to create three different distributions. org.xml.sax, org.w3c.dom, and javax.xml and add dependencies between them as needed. If possible, describe that the packages they export are in many (most) cases not needed at all.

- thomas

Back to the top