Re: [orbit-dev] Bundle manifest versions and provide-package?

All bundles should use

Bundle-ManifestVersion: 2

Never use a value of "1" that would indicate a bundle that does not use new OSGi R4 syntax.  A value of 3, 4, 5, ... have not been defined by OSGi, but they are possible in the future if syntax is introduced that is not compatible on old versions of the OSGi specification.

Provide-Package has been deprecated since Eclipse 3.1.  This header never made it into the OSGi specification.  Instead all packages are exported with the Export-Package header.  No reasonable bundle should ever use the Provide-Package header.

Tom

David M Williams/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS
Sent by: orbit-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

02/12/2007 11:31 AM

Please respond to
Orbit Developer discussion <orbit-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

orbit-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
[orbit-dev] Bundle manifest versions and provide-package?

I'm not sure I've seen this discussed (and may not even be an issue),
and may be "old news", but hope the bundle experts here can answer easily and quickly.

I assume we should _always_ use

Bundle-ManifestVersion
: 2
(not '1' ... any '3' on the horizon?).

Also,

Provide-Package

should never be used, right? Is it some ancient thing?
(I saw in some non-orbit bundles, so, just made me want to find out more).