Re: [orbit-dev] building orbit bundles

Carlos Sanchez wrote on 01/20/2007 03:35:38 PM:

> On 1/18/07, Jeff McAffer <Jeff_McAffer@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > If you are suggesting that others could use Maven to create
> bundles that Orbit would
> > consume, sure.  But, we can really only get stuff directly from
> the originator.  Its not really
> > acceptable for us to get Apache stuff form Bob in his basement.  I
> for one would be tickled
> > pink to not do any of this bundling crap and just have all
> libraries appear on our doorstep as
> > real OSGi bundles.
>
> we try to do like that in the Maven repository, but experience tells
> me that there are many projects that don't care about other projects
> or don't want to spend time on the process. So for those cases you'd
> have to build it yourself, which may take you a good amount of time,
> or accept contributions from "trusted" people.

Indeed. That is acutally what Orbit is all about.  Since the chances of external bodies creating bundles is currently low, Orbit is a set of trusted people who do the bundling work for Eclipse projects.  There would be some element of difficulty if there was another, external, person taking the third party libs, bundling them and then wanting to contribute them to Eclipse.  We'll have to cross that bridge when we come to it.

Jeff

Back to the top