Re: [orbit-dev] Next meeting: Skype or other Chat?

I'd vote for an IRC channel instead of Skype Chat. IRC tends to be blocked less often but, more important to me, it very easy for anyone to join and monitor - one only needs to know the channel name rather than the ids of the participants.

Oberhuber, Martin wrote:
Dear Orbit Committers,

I suggested that for the next Orbit call, we could be using
some instant messaging / chat application in parallel to
the talk, such that we can easily see who's online, ping
people and exchange URLs and the like if we need - and
Jeff asked me to organize that.

For the TM project, we've been using Skype for that so far.
Advantages of Skype in my opinion are,
 * It's been very reliable so far - no disconnects
 * It's easy to set up a chat room where all participants
   see what all others are typing
 * URL's can be navigated directly from the chat window

I know that in some companies, Skype might be deprecated
so I'm open for any other suggestions (Jeff has suggested
Yahoo; other options include AIM, IRC etc). Mind, though,
that we'd be using Skype for Chat only and not for actual
phone calls.

If you are fine with Skype, please share your Skype Id
on this list: mine is martin.oberhuber .

Otherwise, please suggest your favorite alternative.

Martin Oberhuber
Wind River Systems, Inc.
http://www.eclipse.org/dsdp/tm