Re: [orbit-dev] Ready for code features?

The example I know best is the Eclipse SDK features.  They include lots of different 3rd party libs under lots of licenses.  The license.html file for the features basically says, <paraphrase>There is lots of different stuff in here licensed under the following licenses.  See the plugins for more details</paraphrase>.

Actually, this situation would argue for one feature per license type.  That is, lump all the things that are similarly licensed together.  What matters here is the end user experience and if they are going to have to look at this stuff you likely don't want to have 100s of them.

In the end, the legal stuff is a cross cutting concern and we should likely try to find a way to handle it as such.

Jeff

David M Williams <david_williams@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: orbit-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

10/23/2006 11:57 AM

Please respond to
Orbit Developer discussion <orbit-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Orbit Developer discussion <orbit-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
Re: [orbit-dev] Ready for code features?

> There are no legal requirements to do a feature per bundle or make the license stuff particularly easy to access.

Hmmm, maybe not a law exactly :) ... but, I do believe if using update manager they are supposed to be displayed _before_ someone installs it.

That alone doesn't mean one feature per bundle ... but ... but, that would be one sensible way to do it.

Jeff McAffer <Jeff_McAffer@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: orbit-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

10/23/2006 09:56 AM

Please respond to
Orbit Developer discussion <orbit-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Orbit Developer discussion <orbit-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
Re: [orbit-dev] Ready for code features?

There are no legal requirements to do a feature per bundle or make the license stuff particularly easy to access.  Plugin details is more than enough.  Look at all the systems that use these things and don't even have a UI.  People have to grovel through JAR files.  As a rule we have put legal files with the thing they are related to (i.e., with the bundle).

Jeff

"Oberhuber, Martin" <Martin.Oberhuber@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: orbit-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

10/23/2006 07:48 AM

Please respond to
Orbit Developer discussion <orbit-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

<orbit-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
Re: [orbit-dev] Ready for code features?

> > To me, the driving use-case is what we provide to Europa.
> > If we follow the Callisto model, we'd provide one feature for every
bundle,
> > then other projects could "require" (not 'include') that other
> > feature for improved
> > update manager operation. Is that still the right model?
>
> Some projects seem to have followed that model while others (e.g., the

> Eclipse project) just included the third party bundles in their
regular
> features.  Honests I've not thought about this alot to have an opinion

> one way or the other.

Just wondering, if there are not (at least for Apache libs) some legal
requirements that force us to have a feature per bundle? - The APL says,
that "user documentation must include the term 'This product includes
software developed by the Apache Software Foundation'".

To me, the only sensible place where to read this, is in the about box
under feature details -- the actual plugin's about_files seem to be too
hard to access for a user.

Cheers,
--
Martin Oberhuber