Re: [orbit-dev] Interested in Becoming Orbit committer

Hi Jeff,

Jeff McAffer wrote:

Hey Scott,

The interesting thing is to understand what things you (potential committers in general) would work on.  Eclipse projects that have approval to use some third party libs should also look to have these libs bundled in Orbit.  The libs may already be a bundled or you may need to "contribute" bundled versions.  In the former case you are done and there is no particular need to take on the responsibilities of being an Orbit committer.  In the latter case you can decide to contribute and maintain the bundled version (and future versions) of the libs you need.  In that way it is akin to how it works on other projects:  you are coming with an initial contribution and committing to nurturing and maintaining it.

Look at it this way, if you are already setting up and maintaining bundled versions of third party libs in your project then you are a prime candidate for being an Orbit committer and doing that work in Orbit where it can be easily discovered and shared.

I see.  Yeah actually I was thinking

1) Suggest moving the Jive Smack Libs to Orbit under ECF (once they have the providermanager made extensible...I've been working with Matt Tucker on this)

2) I'm thinking that the Maven 'embedded' (Maven runtime API) could also eventually go under Orbit (associated with the heretofore project called 'CITP'...probably moving to be called 'Kepler') as a plugin/set of plugins.

So I guess I wouldn't need separate approval to contribute either/both of these to Orbit as long as people come to agreement about contribution appropriateness for Orbit (and all legal checks passed, etc)?

Scott

Make sense?

Jeff

Scott Lewis <slewis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: orbit-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

10/23/2006 02:10 PM

Please respond to
Orbit Developer discussion <orbit-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

orbit-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
[orbit-dev] Interested in Becoming Orbit committer

This is Scott Lewis, committer and project lead for the Eclipse
Communication Framework.  http://www.eclipse.org/ecf.

I'm interested in becoming an Orbit committer.  Would this be possible?
What should I do to make it so (assuming this is OK with existing
committers, of course).

Thanksinadvance,

Scott