Re: [orbit-dev] Ready for code features?

>   It seems unlikely that end users will want to update these libs in their running Eclipse.

Why is that? Maintenance updates would seems just as likely as maintenance on Eclipse bundles.

Plus, I guess the larger issue is how are other projects meant to share these (in their builds, and their
own distributions). Seems a shame if they and their users could not get from an update site (e.g. Europa's update site).

Jeff McAffer <Jeff_McAffer@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: orbit-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

10/08/2006 05:47 AM

Please respond to
Orbit Developer discussion <orbit-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Orbit Developer discussion <orbit-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
Re: [orbit-dev] Ready for code features?

Great point.  Lets add something about this to the wiki.

I'm a little hesitant to define features for all of this.  Who would use the features/update site?  It seems unlikely that end users will want to update these libs in their running Eclipse.  So the main consumer would likely be developers seeking to add these bndles to their target platform.  If that is the case, we should wait and see how the Target Platform 3.3 plan item evolves as support for this sort of behaviour will end up being embedded in the SDK.

+1 on the meaningful feature POV.

Jeff

David M Williams <david_williams@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: orbit-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

10/08/2006 06:42 AM

Please respond to
Orbit Developer discussion <orbit-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

orbit-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
[orbit-dev] Ready for code features?

How do we want to handle bundles vs. features? Off hand, I'd suggest we in orbit have one feature per bundle. That's how we've
done it in WTP and would seem the only way for us to easy contribute to Europa's common update site, allowing other projects to
"require" other features that "include" the 3rd party bundle. Are there other options? (That don't require a change to update manger)

(And, off hand, I'd say if anyone wants some "meaningful collections" of certain bundles, that they could define that else where, and
not need to reside in Orbit, since I suspect what's meaningful to one project is not meaningful to another).