Re: [openj9-dev] The OpenJ9 version 0.8 release plan is ready for review

Hi Jonathan,

Thank you very much for sending out the link. This is valuable information for consumers of OpenJ9. I have a question regarding the OpenJ9 git repository over at GitHub. Has anyone proposed the idea of having "GitHub releases" (https://github.com/eclipse/openj9/releases) which correspond to official Eclipse releases? i.e. I would love to have a technical overview of exactly what went into a release. From a developers point of view the things developers may care about is:

- Release Notes
- Notable Issues fixed
- What commit of all the repositories that go into Eclipse OpenJ9 a particular release is based off
- For example if I am looking for whether a particular Pull Request for an Issue fix that is relevant to me is in a particular release I would need to know the commit SHAs

A very good example of this can be seen on the .NET Core project:
https://github.com/dotnet/coreclr/releases

Each release is tagged to a particular git commit SHA (you can click on it on the left). It has versioning numbers. GitHub conveniently diffs the git commits between this version and the last automatically. Each commit corresponding to a version is git tagged (https://github.com/dotnet/coreclr/tags). All tags have release notes which can point to a Markdown document right inside the repository (https://github.com/dotnet/core/blob/master/release-notes/2.0/2.0.3.md). These Markdown documents detail all release notes including linking to the official announcement and release (this can be the Eclipse release). It lists important information such as security considerations, notable issues fixed, etc.

This can also be a great place to list Acknowledgements to all the contributors in this release so it recognizes the developers working on OpenJ9 giving contributors another thing to be proud about. And of course we can link directly to the AdoptOpenJDK build which corresponds to this particular release, as well as docker images, etc.

In essence the GitHub release would have more technical information and link to the official Eclipse release which can contain more highlevel content non-developers may care about.

I would love to hear anyone's thoughts on this.

Regards,

Filip Jeremic
IBM
Java JIT Compiler Developer
IBM Software Group8200 Warden Avenue
Phone:+1-905-413-2556Markham, ON L6G 1C7
Mobile:+1-905-923-9632Canada
E-mail:fjeremic@xxxxxxxxxx

Inactive hide details for Jonathan Woodford1 ---2017-12-20 06:34:15 AM---Hi, The OpenJ9 version 0.8 release plan is ready for rJonathan Woodford1 ---2017-12-20 06:34:15 AM---Hi, The OpenJ9 version 0.8 release plan is ready for review:

The OpenJ9 version 0.8 release plan is ready for review:
https://projects.eclipse.org/projects/technology.openj9/reviews/0.8-release-review

Please take a look and provide comments.

Jonathan.
Unless stated otherwise above: