[nebula-dev] Timeline widget proposal

Hi,

I am currently working on a timeline widget. It is Draw2D based, a
sample image is attached.

The source is currently available at github:
https://github.com/Pontesegger/timeline

During development (still ongoing) the plugin contains a timeline view
which automatically populates a sample widget with events. So it should
be easy to try it out.

It is similar to a midi tracker (if there is still someone around who
knows these things): You may have multiple tracks (in the example named
"Layer 4" and "Layer 3"). Each track may have multiple lanes. Each lane
now contains Items, which reflect event with a start timestamp and a
length.

The display consists of a detail area and an overview are (below).
The detail area supports event selection, grab and drag to move left
and right, zoom using the mouse wheel.

Cursors can be created with a left click, delete them with a right
click.

The widget contains a Viewer, which inherits from
jface.StructuredViewer. Therefore the widget can be used in a similar
way as a treeviewer or tableviewer. Further the plugin comes with an
EMF model for tracks, lanes and events. When used, this allows for easy
export and import of view content.

The provided sample view show basic usage:
https://github.com/Pontesegger/timeline/blob/master/org.eclipse.nebula.timeline/src/org/eclipse/nebula/timeline/views/TimelineView.java

Now some questions:
a) Do we want to host it as nebula widget?
b) if yes, is the namespace org.eclipse.nebula.timeline.* fine?
c) do we require a stable API before we upload it?
d) as I am currently working on the widget: any ideas for improvements?

best regards
Christian

PNG image

Back to the top