[nebula-dev] New Nebula Opal widgets require too recent a version of org.eclipse.swt

It’s great that the Opal widgets are now available as part of Eclipse Nebula, as of the Nebula 2.0.0 release, but we’ve hit a snag when trying to move to them.

Previously, we used the Opal widgets from https://github.com/lcaron/opal. The last release, 1.0.9, had a dependency on org.eclipse.swt with a minimum version of 3.7.2.

However, the Opal widgets from Nebula, specifically org.eclipse.nebula.widgets.opal.commons, depends on org.eclipse.swt with a minimum version of 3.106.0.

We are (still) using a target platform based on Eclipse Mars, which uses org.eclipse.swt version 3.104.2.v20160212-1350.

That means we can’t switch to the Nebula-packaged version of the widgets.

It looks like SWT 3.106 came with Eclipse Oxygen, so anyone with an older target platform can’t use Nebula Opal.

I notice that the other (non-Opal) Nebula widgets that depend on SWT don’t specify any particular version, so they can be used with any target platform.

Do the Opal widgets actually require SWT 3.106+?

My guess (which could be wrong) is that when they were moved to Nebula, that was done using an Eclipse Oxygen IDE, and someone that got inserted as the minimum version required, but it’s not actually needed.

Is it possible to reduce or remove the minimum SWT version that the Opal widgets require?

Should I open a ticket?

Thanks

Matthew

PS This is not intended as any criticism of the excellent work that Laurent has done. We like and use the Opal widgets.