[nebula-dev] NatTable infrastructure and future

Hi everybody,

there are some news on the NatTable project.

Edwin will not be able to be as active in NatTable development as before. As most of our committers weren't active the last year, and despite one other member I haven't heard from anybody for a while, it seems I'm the last "very" active member. Edwin isn't gone AFAIK and the other committer is also active, but looking at the activity on the project, most of the work on NatTable and the communication is done by me.

What does that mean for the future of NatTable?

To be honest, I don't know exactly. Managing everything by my own seems to be too much work. But maybe jumping on the infrastructure train that Nebula is driving will help.

So, Wim asked if we want to join the HIPP instance for building. Till now Edwin was doing the build stuff. I worked on the Maven build setup, but the build job in Hudson was managed by Edwin. If you give me some hints on what to do and where to start, I hope it will be possible to move too, so we share the same infrastructure.

As Mickael recently noticed that Gerrit is a good thing to manage contributions, maybe that is also a good idea for NatTable. Not that we are getting much contributions, but maybe that increases the number of contributions. Can anybody give me a hint on what to do to get NatTable into Gerrit?

I also want to mention that we are planning to release a 1.1 version of NatTable this year. I want to add a contribution that is in work and another feature/bugfix for percentage sizing. After that we think about a feature freeze for the 1.x architecture of NatTable. We know about several issues in more complex compositions, but most of them can be fixed with an architecture refactoring rather than trying to fix them in the current code base. Nested tables is one of those features that hurt our brains the last months.

This means we want to focus on the new architecture if the time allows us to, and will maintain NatTable 1.x to fix critical bugs or add contributions. But for the moment it seems that we will not enhance NatTable 1.x any further after 1.1 and will be back with a new NatTable 2.x.

Any help in getting things managed is really appreciated.

Greez,
Dirk

Back to the top