Re: [nebula-dev] Let's become friends

Hi Hallvard,

Yes, it would be great to have this widget working with RAP. The RAP
implementation would be quite different I guess, the event handling
would be done directly in JavaScript. So API that exposes the event
management would be problematic, such as methods to cancel certain key
or mouse operations. But API methods like set/getZoom()
set/getMapPosition() will certainly make sense in RAP too.

A few things I notice about the API, they are not particularly RAP
specific, but let me point them out anyway:

* There are a lot of public methods in the GeoMap class, some of them
may not be really needed for using the widget itself. For example, the
developer who uses a GeoMap widget will care about the location
displayed and the zoom level, but probably not about how this is
achieved. Not exposing internals like the number and size of tiles, or
maybe make them part of another class (TileServer?), would make the
widget easier to change. Since API should be forever, I think it's a
good practice to start with a minimal API and evolve it as needed.

* Does TileCache and AsyncImage need to be public?

* What about extracting the public inner classes to separate files?

* What about an SWT-style listener interface like the MapListener in
the Google maps widget for RAP [1]?

* I believe that SWT widgets should not use logging and not involve a
dependency to a logging framework.

Best regards,
Ralf

[1] https://github.com/eclipsesource/rap-gmap/blob/master/com.eclipsesource.widgets.gmaps/src/com/eclipsesource/widgets/gmaps/GMap.java