[nebula-dev] My quick try with Nebula Widgets in RAP context

Hi Nebula Team,

I have tried to port the Nebula demo on RAP (see attached screenshot) and the conclusion is that none Nebula Widgets cannot support RAP (except Pagination+Picture Control that I have developped for that).
When I started to see Nebula Widget, I told me if XXXX Nebula Widget support RAP. So I think it should be cool if we have this information anywhere. My proposition is to add "RAP support?" column in the list of Nebula Widgets at http://wiki.eclipse.org/Nebula/restructure
and set yes or no for each widgets. Are you OK with that?

I would like know if RAP support is in a scope of Nebula widgets? The basic problem with nebula widgets in RAP context is:

1) Required-Bundle should declare both SWT+RWT as optionnal and RAP Workbench+RCP Workbench as optionnal. For example:

Require-Bundle: org.eclipse.core.runtime,
 org.eclipse.swt;resolution:=optional,
 org.eclipse.ui.forms;resolution:=optional,
 org.eclipse.rap.rwt;resolution:=optional,
 org.eclipse.rap.ui.forms;resolution:=optional,
 org.eclipse.jface;resolution:=optional,
 org.eclipse.rap.jface;resolution:=optional

2) RAP doesn't implement the whole methods od the SWT Widget. A good sample is mouse event tracking which is not supported with RAP.
Almost Nebula widgets use mouse event tracking, so widgets cannot work in RAP context.

So I tell me if you wish support RAP with your widgets? I could explain step by step how to modify your plugin to support RAP and after you could resolve compilation problem
(with fragment or Java reflection) and fix problem in RAP context.

For instance I have tried to port Oscilloscope in RAP context. I can display the grid with a red/green line but impossible to display the oscillation?
I have not time to study the problem and I think it should be better than the owner of Oscilloscope widget (Wim I believe) should study the problem with RAP context if he is interested to port the widget on RAP.

An another example is TreeMaper which use drag/drop features and RAP doesn't support that.

In my case I would like use in RAP context :

* PShelf : I have done already this support but it is in another Plug-in. I think it should be better if it's the existing Nebula PShelf which supports RAP too (modify Required-Bundle+Use Java reflection to avoid
  compilation problem with RAP for mouse traking). If the author of this widget is OK (Tom I believe), I could create a patch for that.
* DateChooserCombo : quicly tested in RAP, but very bugged.

What do you think about that?

Regards Angelo