Re: [nebula-dev] Nebula Wording

Alright:

Pending other opinions we then have the following base download sites:

http://download.eclipse.org/technology/nebula
http://download.eclipse.org/technology/nebula/ci
http://download.eclipse.org/technology/incubation/ci

Pending the NatTable project discussion this would be:

http://download.eclipse.org/technology/nebula/nattable
http://download.eclipse.org/technology/nebula/nattable/ci

Everybody cool about these names?

Regards,

Wim

On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 3:12 PM, Mickael Istria <mickael.istria@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 01/12/2011 14:47, Wim Jongman wrote:

Nightly *was* a standard word in the Eclipse community, it reminds me the time when people could not poll SCM and before continuous integration existed, and everyone used PDE/Build... That's now a freaky word for me: a project that only builds once a night is not healthy.
Latest is interesting, but latest what? latest release, latest test build...? It is not precise enough I think.

I could advocate for Snapshots for years, we probably need more opinions rather than debating for weeks just the 2 of us ;)

How about "continuous" then.
I'd be OK for "continuous-integration" or "ci". The first one is probably better for people who do not know CI... poor them.
Deal?

We could also include some eclipse release name. (indigo/helios)
Hopefully we will provide builds that would work with 3.5 and later. Binding a build to the name of a release will make people think that the release is a requirement for installation.

Yes, but at some point this will no longer work. Because it is a matter of time before people start using touch API and/or restyling and other stuff that will break compatibility with older SWT releases.
So let's wait for this time to happen. Maybe having a compatibility table on the download area with the list of releases for Nebula and the list of releases for Eclipse with green checks or red cross in it would be easier to maintain and clearer for consumers.
Also, I think that incompatibility will only happen happer for a few Nebula widgets. In that case, we should not prevent someone on a old 3.5 Eclipse to install (let's stay) the latest version TableCombo just because the latest Gallery would only support 3.8+...

Having "normal" numeric versioning + a compatibility table for widgets could be clearer.

 I also want to think about things as long term support (LTS) where we must be able to fix Nebula bugs against older versions of Eclipse (but that is a separate discussion).
That's a topic I did not think about, and I am not very aware of; but it is indeed very important... I'm clueless.

Mickael Istria
R&D Engineer, Eclipse Plug-in RCP Developer

PetalsLink - Open Source SOA

My blog - My Tweets