Re: [nebula-dev] Release Schedule discussion

On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 12:13 PM, Wim Jongman <wim.jongman@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 5:35 PM, Wayne Beaton <wayne@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Note there is no specific requirement for subprojects to release with their parents. Many projects do operate this way, but it is not a requirement.

Yes, but it would be nice if the NatTable would be included in the grand Nebula update site.

We can still do this even if NatTable is a separate project.

FWIW, if NatTable ends up operating completely separate from Nebula, it may make sense for it to be a direct Technology subproject. Again... whatever makes sense the project developers and community.

Yes, but it would be nice if the NatTable would be included in the grand Nebula. That would be good news for Nebula and for NatTable IMHO. However, if Edwin wants to operate it separate from Nebula then this is probably not a bad idea.

I think a primary benefit of Nebula is as place for people to go to to see all the available Eclipse SWT widgets, and where they can then download stable versions of whatever ones they want to use. This kind of widget catalog is extremely useful to widget consumers. It does not necessarily imply that all the widgets in the catalog are developed as part of the same project, though.

The ebb and flow of development for one widget is bound to be different from that of others. The general case is that you have independent widgets that are all developed independently. On the other hand, if you have a bunch of smaller, less complex widgets that are all maintained by the same developers, you may benefit from lower overhead by treating them all together. I think it is useful to support both cases, and trying to use the same solution for both is likely to be suboptimal for somebody.

I'd love for NatTable to be part of the Nebula widget catalog, but I'm concerned about how we would be able to continue to release if we were part of the Nebula project itself. Nebula has never had a release as far as I know. I know it's being worked on, but the solution seems to be targeted primarily towards the aggregation of multiple widgets into a single build. I'd like to see how it works for widgets with independent release schedules and builds.

I thought that NatTable being a subproject would give us the ability to run development as we have been and you the freedom to organize Nebula as you want to. We can then aggregate release artifacts, cross publish descriptions and documentation, etc. In the long term, once Nebula has figured out how it will do its releases, we can reconsider whether we want to merge NatTable into Nebula as Wayne said.

Is this acceptable for you? If not, it would help me to know more about how you'd see NatTable being able to develop and release within the context of the Nebula project itself.

Thanks,
Edwin

Back to the top