[nebula-dev] About having 2 builds

Hi all,

I've worked to integrate the TreeMapper on the CVS tree and in the incubation build. I found it more complicated than expected because of the 2 different builds. Although TreeMapper is part of the build, it is currently not available in any update-site; because of the current separation between release and incubation.

Of course, I can, and I will create an update-site for the incubation components; but I think having two builds introduce complexity for low return on investment. Here is why I am in favor of a single build, please argue in favor of or against these ideas:

1. Two builds = Twice more complexity to maintain. Indeed these two builds are not linked, there is not a lot of factorization. It is like Release and Incubation were 2 totally different project
2. Two builds = Twice more output. Currently, with 2 builds, we do need 2 update-sites to release all widgets. Then if we want a single update-site, we'll need to set up a composite repository, that is one more thing to maintain
3. Incubation does not break much more than the release, so why isolating it?
4. Incubation projects would benefit for stability and visibility (update-site) of release projects: being part of a release train or a simultaneous build makes your project better.

I think these arguments are good to improve life of:
* contributors: less things to maintain
* incubation projects: more visibility, part of something bigger and more stable
* consumers: will see a single update site with everything in it.

What do you think of it?

Mickael Istria
R&D Engineer, Eclipse Plug-in RCP Developer

PetalsLink - Open Source SOA

My blog - My Tweets

Back to the top