[nebula-dev] How about this idea?

Donald (and those who are interested),

From my testing I can get the tree behavior to change the root node and the underlying node relationship, in other words select predefined tree views for the data available with out changing the ContentProvider and LabelProvider, if I can let the my content and label providers know what the selection is from the dropdown menu. Of course the content and label providers have to know about the user’s selection prior to myLabelProvider.getColumnText and myContentProvider.getChildren being called so they will execute the correct logic based on the menu selection. There looks like there are some places I can add a listener however, this will do me no good if it can’t update the providers before they execute. So far this looks like the must logical way to have multiple tree views. Am I attacking this problem the right way or am I missing something in the XViewer architect? I know this is not your main concern and you have plenty of other responsibilities, but any feedback you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,

Michael

From: nebula-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:nebula-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Stapleton, Mike
Sent: Sunday, January 16, 2011 12:38 PM
To: Nebula Dev
Subject: Re: [nebula-dev] Ordering columns programmatically?

Donald (or anyone who would like to chime in),

I got switching between predefined tables working nicely using your example. However, I have a requirement to switch between tables and tree views in the same application. I can do one or the other from different applications but when I try to do both in the same application I have conflicts with the content and label providers that represent the 2 different structures as well as the way I structure the input to get it to layout properly. Also switching between different tree views is clumsy because it requires you to restructure your tree. I would think this is something others would find useful but can’t find any examples or information on it. Is there a mechanism built into XViewer that that supports these types of different layouts dynamically? So far I’m back to resetting the content and label providers to as well as restructuring the input. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to anyone who has time and knowledge to rrespond.

Michael