[nebula-dev] Component versions in bugzilla

In my work to port PaperClips to Nebula I got bugzilla permissions so I could manage version numbers for my components in Bugzilla.  However it turns out that Bugzilla versions apply to the entire project (Nebula as a whole), not individual components.

I personally find versioning to be really important for bug / enhancement tracking.  It's been invaluable while working on DataBinding to find old bug reports and do planning in Mylyn.

It would be nice if we could reach a consensus on how to version our components so that nobody gets their toes stepped on.  Here are a few couple options:
  1. Don't use them (status quo).  Projects track versions, bug fixes and enhancements somewhere outside Bugzilla.  The benefit is that every component owner can manage their versions however they like.  The drawback is that bugzilla cannot be queried as easily according to versions
  2. Standardize versions/milestones across all Nebula components, possibly using a year/month or year/quarter scheme e.g. "2009-10" or "2009-Q4".  The benefit is avoiding an explosion of versions; the drawback is that component owners have less flexibility to version their components and everybody has to plan releases at the same time.  Also the version numbers in Bugzilla no longer match bundle versions.
  3. Let each component define their own versions, but require that the version names be prepended with the component name e.g. "RadioGroup 0.1", "PaperClips 2.0M1."  The benefit is that component owners can track versions as appropriate for the component (preferably according to bundle version).  The drawback is having an explosion of version numbers--the more components, the bigger the explosion of versions.
Which option would each of you prefer?

Matthew Hall

Back to the top