Re: [nebula-dev] Then, how should I submit my code? -- gsoc questions

Hi,

Well first of all I appreciate that people are working on our code and
improve it. You don't automatically get a committer simply because you
are accepted by Google and Eclipse as a summer of code student.

Like Nicolas also mentions your project proposal doesn't say anything
about Nebula though from your description it might indicate that you
might contribute to Nebula and not SWT (nor is it part of
http://wiki.eclipse.org/Google_Summer_of_Code_2009_Ideas or did I miss it).

I remember seeing this proposal and immediately asked myself:

Is this coordinated with the Project-Team(s) from SWT
  => Did you write a mail to swt-dev before proposing your project for
     SoC?
  => Did you write a mail to nebula-dev before proposing your project
     for SoC

I didn't asked myself the second question until now that you show up
here :-)

This is nothing personal and I'd like to give you a warm welcome and
ideally all your code flows back to Eclipse (whether it is SWT or
Nebula) but we currently have no resources dedicated to such a task
(pretending we could dedicate resources which not the case for nebula
because none of us is employed to work on it)

Another thing IIRC is that your project code has to be hosted on
code.google.com but the SoC people from Eclipse.org know this better and
then flows back to us when the project has ended.

So there are many open ends and I'm not sure how to proceed. Maybe some
questions:

* Do you create new cool widgets
  => We are open for contributions of new widgets and once you have code
     in your code google repository and the code is testable you can
     point us to it.

* Do you plan to enhance existing widgets
  => Where do they live currently in SWT, Nebula, ... .
     - SWT: SWT and Nebula-Committer need to get to gether and decide
            what to do if SWT refuses to add fix in their code we here
            at nebula need to decide if we think this widget makes sense
            to us => Simply cloning code over from SWT and maintaining
            an SWT-Fork is a no go!

     - Nebula: As mentionned file bugs and attach patches

Tom