Re: [nebula-dev] Nebula Binaries

Hi MS,

Moor Su schrieb:
> Dear Tom,
>
> Thanks for your reply.
>
>> but because we are currently in parallel IP
>>and don't provide a release there's the *unlikely* possibility that code
>>parts violate IP.
>
> Could you please kindly elaborate on this?. I would like to understand more
> about this.
>
> We are moving away from ExtJS after 6 months of work and started liking
> SWT and other nebula widgets very much for our rich client.  We are ok
> with alpha/beta
> stage of the widgets and will be happy to test and report any issues.
>
> But would like to understand the licensing issues if any.

Well we at Eclipse are very serious when it comes to Intellectual
Property (much more serious than other OpenSource Project are!) because
we want to ensure that everything available as a *release* is free of
IP-Issue.

So if you use a *release* of a project from Eclipse you can be sure that
you won't run into IP-Problems but this statement also means that though
even in Parallel IP respects strict IP rules [1,2,3] it is possible that
IP violated!

I can't say you that it is 100% save to use some nightly binary build
because this is not correct. I don't want you to stop using Nebula
though because I'm quite comfortable that we don't have an IP problem
and you are much safer using an Eclipse Incubation project than majority
of the other opensource projects you use without questioning their IP.

Tom

[1]http://wiki.eclipse.org/Development_Resources/Process_Guidelines/What_is_Incubation
[2]http://wiki.eclipse.org/Development_Resources/HOWTO/Incubation_Phase
[3]http://www.eclipse.org/org/documents/Eclipse_IP_Policy.pdf