RE: [nebula-dev] Re: nebula-dev Digest, Vol 9, Issue 17

As someone from a team that will be using use nebula components in the very near future, I agree with this thinking. We'd like to see "one-stop shopping" in the form of a zip with everything.

Jack Davis

From: nebula-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:nebula-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of David J. Orme
Sent: Thursday, December 21, 2006 10:51 AM
To: nebula-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [nebula-dev] Re: nebula-dev Digest, Vol 9, Issue 17

I've been thinking about this and I'm still supportive, but don't want to lose some of the benefits of how we do things now.

One advantage we have right now is that we provide closer to one-stop shopping for people who download our controls.

What I mean is that inside the download zip, we all provide a JAR for the widget itself and a separate JavaDoc directory, all at once.  In CompositeTable, I've extended this idea and made my build script also include a src.zip and a snippets.zip so that when someone downloads CompositeTable, they really have *everything* they need to get started with it.  We can get away with this because our controls are really small downloads to begin with, so throwing all the documentation, source code, and snippets into the distribution makes sense.

If we were to move to one plugin per control, I would still want the download file to be a ZIP containing the plugin jar, plus all the stuff it currently has (snippets.zip, src.zip, JavaDoc, etc).  There is no reason to make our users download five tiny things in order to use a control.  One download should be sufficient.

Regards,

Dave Orme

-----

Message: 1