Re: [nebula-dev] Date submissions - Eric and Jeremy

I envision Nebula as a place for cool exotic widgets.  Things that aren't found in typical tookits/OSes.  The initial focus seems to be on things that developers have found difficult with SWT (tables, etc).  But I hope that as we move forward that changes and instead we focus on defining new and exciting types of widgets.

Widgets in Nebula aren't native and won't always fit into SWT's mandate.  So when there is an available widget from the OS, SWT will use it.  And I'm glad for that.  The SWT guys still have their own roadmap for widgets and such.

-Chris

Eric Zimmerman <eric@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: nebula-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

09/18/2006 03:09 PM

Please respond to
Nebula Dev <nebula-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Nebula Dev <nebula-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
nebula-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject

Christopher J Gross wrote:

> (Sorry for the late response, was on vacation last week)
>
> Thanks for the write-up Eric.  I've just now read that the main SWT
> team is planning on developing a date picker widget as part of 3.3.
>  This would make a Nebula date widget unnecessary.  One of the
> founding principles of the Nebula project is to augment SWT, but not
> to compete with it.
>
> Perhaps one of the SWT guys who might be reading this could chime in
> and confirm this.  If so, it seems to make this whole discussion moot.
Exactly...so why would the SWT team develop a new widget, when there
seem to be perfectly good ones already done?  Isn't that the whole
purpose of the nebula project?

Just curious,

Eric