Re: [mylyn-integrators] Mylyn 2.3 vs. 2.0 and connector API

On Tuesday 09 September 2008, Tom Bryan (tombry) wrote:
> We have a Mylyn connector for our internal task repository built for
> Mylyn 2.3.  I have found that many of our developers are still using
> Eclipse 3.2.  I'm going to encourage them all to upgrade to Eclipse 3.3
> or 3.4.
>
> In the meantime, I'm trying to figure out whether these users have any
> options for using Mylyn with Eclipse 3.2.  It looks like Eclipse 3.2
> users are limited to Mylyn 2.0, an EOL release.

Yes, Mylyn 2.0.0 is the last release that works on Eclipse 3.2.

> We built our connector on Mylyn 2.3.  Did the connector APIs change much
> between 2.0 and 2.3?

As far as I remember there were some additions to the Mylyn API. The changes
in platform between 3.2 and 3.3 particularly in the forms API are more
siginificant though. This will require some porting effort if your connector
has customizations in the task editor for instance.

> I don't want to do a lot of work to support users
> on an EOL Mylyn release, but if the connector API was stable in the 2.x
> branch, then perhaps our existing connector would work with Eclipse 3.2
> + Mylyn 2.0.

You should be able to quickly verify that by checking the Mylyn 2.0.0 branch
out and compiling your plug-in against it. If it compiles it should work :).
If you decide to go ahead with the back port it would be great if you could
post your experiences here.

Steffen

--
Steffen Pingel - steffenp@xxxxxx - http://steffenpingel.de