[mylyn-integrators] Problem with connector plug-in dependency on org.eclipse.mylyn.web.core

Let's say I have a connector plug-in, MyConnector, that needs
org.apache.commons.httpclient.

My plan:

Add org.eclipse.mylyn.web.core as a required plug-in of MyConnector.

Since org.eclipse.mylyn.web.core already exports
org.apache.commons.httpclient, it seemed reasonable to use that library
instead of adding the JAR to my own feature.

The problem:

If I try to create this plug-in dependency to the host/target
environment's binary installation of Mylyn, MyConnector gets compile
time errors, such as "The import org.apache cannot be resolved."

I can only build MyConnector if I also check out the
org.eclipse.mylyn.web.core project into my workspace.

I'm not an expert on plug-in dependencies and build paths, so I don't
know whether this is expected behavior.  I'm looking through the Eclipse
help right now to see how Require-Bundle, Export-Package, and
Bundle-Classpath are supposed to work.

I anticipate one of three solutions:

1) Building against the binary plug-in should work, but I made a mistake
somewhere.  Please help.  :)

2) The only way to make this work is to check out
org.eclipse.mylyn.web.core into my workspace.  I'm trying to avoid that
since it means that my continuous integration server will need to check
out the Mylyn code for every build, which seems wasteful.

3) If connectors are not supposed to depend on
org.eclipse.mylyn.web.core just to use one of the libraries it provides,
then I could just bundle up org.apache.commons.httpclient myself.

Thanks.

--
Tom Bryan <tombry@xxxxxxxxx>
Cisco Systems