[mylyn-integrators] RE: [mylyn-dev] Fishtail - Using task context to automate web searches

Nathan,

First, it's great to see this kind of experimentation and innovation being
done on top of Mylyn.  From your message below, I'm glad to see that the
effort that you've been putting into this work is not discouraged by the
negative message below.  I think that you should probably take Eugene's
complaints as a complement, because all Mylyn committers are constantly
subjected this kind of UI nit picking :)

Regarding reusing Dynamic Help, in your place I would not consider it at
this stage.  While in general the heuristic of integrating with existing UI
facilities rather than adding new ones is very important, in this case the
flexibility that you would lose would likely not be worth it.  You would
need to invest significant time in bringing your results into Dynamic Help,
and you would lose a lot of the flexibility that you are getting from using
a viewer (e.g. the ability to show results as a tree view, decorate their
labels, and show custom tooltips).

Lubos put it well in stating that when an idea has promise, like this one,
people will be willing to try it again.  As he said, in the early stages it
took people multiple tries with Mylyn as well, and for some I'm sure that it
still does.  In my experience, the trick with integrating innovative ideas
of this sort is to figure out how to get the UI friction low enough to get
enough people to try it without investing a ton of time into the UI work,
since that takes time away from the core work and evaluation.  Here are some
tips that have worked for me (note that you're following some of these
already, and that some of them are an ongoing effort in Mylyn as well):

* Decide and communicate whether you want the plug-in to be something that
people experiment with, or something that they use for their daily
development.

* If the plug-in is to be used for daily development, it should have a very
low performance footprint.  What's most important is that it does not slow
down the user's Eclipse when it is not being used, otherwise many users will
quickly disable it.

* When your plug-in is doing any background work, make sure to have that
indicated in the Progress view (via the Jobs API).  This will help people
trust the tool, since their Eclipse could be getting slowed down by
something else.

* Decide carefully on the UI that's needed to enable early adopters to make
use of your tool.  Eclipse users tend to have a very high expectation of UI
polish, and UI work can dominate implementation time.  Try to reuse existing
UIs as much as possible.  When adding new UI, it can help to follow the
Eclipse UI guidelines (either the document or by example) since this will
make it easier for people to use your tool without needing to read
documentation.

* Eat your own dogfood as much as possible.  If you expect others to be able
to use the tool you should be able to use it yourself (as long as you are
representative of the target audience).  One of the key benefits of
consuming what you produce is that it will help you prioritize both the
performance and the UI work.

* Provide people with a public forum for feedback, since open discussion is
important to many of the open source contributors who may try it.  If you do
not have a forum available you can start a discussion thread on the Mylyn
newsgroup.

* Provide a short page describing how to use your plug-in (e.g.
http://www.cs.ubc.ca/labs/spl/projects/fishtail/

* In order to get support specific to your tool from the Mylyn committers
create a Mylyn bug called "support integration with MyCoolTool".

I've added these notes to:

http://wiki.eclipse.org/Mylyn_Integrator_Reference#Innovating_and_Experiment
ing

If anyone has feedback or additions please comment there or reply to
mylyn-dev.

Cheers,

Mik