Re: [mylyn-docs-dev] exploring changes to Mylyn Docs build

Stephan,

With the proposed changes as-is, that would not be possible.  You'd have to run a maven build on the core bundles and then refresh the projects and/or target platform to consume the changes.  This workflow is definitely suboptimal.

If we make it easier to write unit tests and run them, it will become a lot easier to debug core portions of the codebase without having to fire up an IDE from your workspace.  At least that's my hope with the Maven project layout.

I've  found that we're spending less time working on RCP/UI portions of the codebase and more on the core portions.
At least for me, this would be an acceptable trade-off.  What do you think?

David

On Sat, Dec 3, 2016 at 1:19 PM Stephan Wahlbrink <sw@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi David,

[2016-12-02 18:47] David Green wrote:
> Devs,
>
> I've been experimenting with restructuring the Mylyn Docs build to
> achieve a few things:
>
> * easier to build/release Mylyn Docs (or at least Mylyn WikiText)
> separately from Mylyn
> * easier to consume Mylyn WikiText core bundles (e.g. as plain jars,
> with normal poms)
> * easier to contribute (e.g. without knowledge of OSGi or PDE)
> * better structured code/tests (e.g. using normal Maven project layout)
> * faster cycle time (e.g. easier to verify code changes, faster builds)
>
> To achieve these things I've been looking at building the "core"
> wikitext bundles as normal Maven artifacts, using a Maven plug-in to
> generate OSGi manifests.

How can I consume such m2e source projects directly as osgi bundles in a
PDE workspace / PDE build? (use case: debugging Mylyn WikiText core
bundles in an RCP application)

Stephan