Re: [mylyn-dev] Towards the improvement of task context?

Dear Mik,
Thanks for your quick reply.
Interesting work!
Thank you for your interest in our work!
The original premise of the edit events was that time spent in the editor is more productive than time spent looking around the structure views that eventually get you to the editor.  The edit events don’t have to be textual edits, which is why we decided not to base this event on something like keystrokes in the editor.  For example, selecting a bunch of text, then copying and pasting it, could produce a number of edit events, and be more meaningful work than 30 keystrokes.
I completely agree that some of these edits that are not textual edits show certain level of relevance.
That said, the argument that there is noise in the edit events makes sense to me.  The thing that’s less clear to me is a crips definition of what the signal really is.  In our initial research we assumed only this split between interactions in editor being “good”, and those in the structure views being wasteful in formatting the “edit ratio”.  I do think that, given a more precise definition of what edit signal is, it would be great to identify how to remove move of the noise.
We looked at these edits and we identified what some of them are ... But we cannot assume that it covers all the possibilities that can happen. Actually we are looking for automatic identification of them. I would like to know your opinion on when to possibly clean these events ... when creating interaction events or when using them to build task context?

Regards,
Zéphyrin

Mik

--