Re: [mylyn-dev] stop requiring fast-forwards

On Wed, Dec 10, 2014 at 6:46 PM, Sam Davis <sam.davis@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Thanks for the replies. There is already a rebase button (in the Mylyn connector too) but I still find it painful.

that sounds good to me but what are you suggesting as an alternative? I'm okay with a cherry-pick merge strategy. I'm not a big fan of merge commits though since that makes the history more difficult to follow.

Agreed, I don't like merge commits. I would like to use either cherry-pick or Rebase If Necessary. It sounds like the only differences are that cherry-pick always creates a new commit when merging, and it adds information to the commit header. Rebase if Necessary only creates a new commit when necessary.

the downside of the cherry-pick strategy is that it breaks patch series into individual commits
so if you have a series of commits depending on each other in review cherry-pick will not
respect the commit dependencies which is likely to break the build if the changes really
depend on each other.

--
MatthiasĀ

Back to the top