Re: [mylyn-dev] Vex Editor for Mylyn Docs project

Unfortunately I have another appointment tomorrow. So I will write some
facts about Vex and some of my thoughts in advance. I hope this helps to
see if Vex fits better into the

Vex is a WYSIWYG (actually "...what you mean") editor for XML documents,
i.e. huge amounts of structured text written in a XML language (eg.
Docbook). One of the main reasons to use XML is, that it allows to tag
the content's semantic instead of simply defining a layout. This fact is
vital for single source publishing.

The typical Vex user
* writes structured texts in a XML language (eg. Docbook, DITA, TEI P5)
* uses the XML toolchain (XSLT + XSL-FO, etc.) to publish the texts in
serveral formats (eg. different HTML layouts, HTML-Help, PDF, etc.)
* has little knowledge about XML and all the other underlying technologies
* sees Vex simply as one of his tools and has little time and energy to
fiddle around with Vex

Typical fields of application:
* technical writing
* scientific writing
* computational linguistics

This is a whole new group of users. I think it is good to have one
"documentation" project which concentrates all effort to address this
group of users.

Holger, me and possibly Igor will be at the ESE in three weeks. Maybe we
can make an appointment to meet in person. At least for me this is
easier than the 2,7kHz of a telephone line around the half of the globe ;-)

Best Regards,

Florian