Re: [mylyn-dev] development process

 I would like to ask how do you plan to review review patches that
already been committed?

By looking at the patch file in a text editor.

To my knowledge, in order to take a really good look at the patch you
would need the appropriate workspace setup with no changes included
into the patch. But then you can simply run synchronize and see the
same changes grouped by the change sets and use the much more
convenient comparisons editor from there. More over, the Eclipse
Team/CVS integration allow to run comparison for the branch head with
any other branch to get the same change sets and use same comparison
editor without even having the branched code in your workspace.

I haven't used that feature much and don't know if it is pratical. Head is likely to have many changes so it could be difficult to find a specific changeset particularly when other changes are made to the same file.

 So, unless I am missing something (which I very well may), the whole
the patch idea is just an unpractical and unnecessary overhead, because
the version control system provides the same information in a form more
usable for review.

It's certainly true that the same information is preserved in CVS but it can difficult to extract a change set from CVS. Particularly when patches overlap, i.e. multiple changes affect the same file, it becomes harder to track which change is related to specific bug. Patches also make it fairly easy to revert a particular change in case it turns out that it introduces a regression.

If attaching patches imposes significant overhead it certainly doesn't make any sense. With Mylyn I find that it's very easy to save a patch to the clipboard before committing and attach it to a bug. What is unpractical about it?

Assuming that it doesn't impose much overhead I still think there is a benefit to explictly track the few changes made to the maintenance branch. That said I am fine with trying out the Eclipse synchronize view and change sets. It seems likely that changes will not overlap and it could work well enough to track it that way.

Eugene, how easy is it to revert a change from the synchronize perspective?

Steffen

Back to the top