[mylyn-dev] 2.3 maintenance branch

Today's 2.3 release marked the starting point of the Mylyn 3.0 development
cycle [1]. In the next few weeks our development efforts will focus on
revising the API.

Bumping the major version number allows us to make changes that break the
current API contract. We are planning to use this opportunity to make
significant changes in core parts of Mylyn. While we will try our best to
maintain stability of CVS HEAD we may destabilize at times while the code is
undergoing major refactorings.

NOTE: Working Bootstrapped

 I would recommend to anyone working bootstrapped to switch to the 2.x
 maintenance branch e_3_4_m_2_x (use e_3_3_m_2_x for plug-ins that were
 branched for Eclipse 3.3). I have updated the team project sets on the Wiki:

 http://wiki.eclipse.org/Mylyn_Contributor_Reference#Checkout

Only important bug fixes will go into the 2.x branch. We currently plan to
make a 2.3.1 release that fixes minor usability problems in time for
EclipseCon. If critical bugs are found or changes in future Eclipse 3.4
releases break Mylyn we may consider to release additional 2.3.x versions.

I will announce once the implementation has been sufficiently stabilized and
it is safe to bootstrap on HEAD. As usual discussion will mainly take place
on bugs. I would recommend to setup a query for Mylyn bugs tagged with [api]
to everybody who is interested in participating.

Happy Hacking.

Steffen

[1] http://wiki.eclipse.org/Mylyn_3.0_Plan

--