Re: [mylyn-dev] conference call today, 10am PST

Mik Kersten wrote:
More than half of our attendees are usually remote (3 out of the typical 5)
so if this is a problem I'm interested in exploring options.  However, we
have a history of going depth first on design discussions on calls, and
discussing the priority of bugs is very important to managing the increasing
excess of demand that we have for features.  I have been finding that going
through our P1s and P2s and limiting discussion on each to a couple of
minutes has been working very well, especially leading up to a release.  I
realize that it may a bit more boring than design discussion for those who
don't have anything assigned to them for the current milestone, but I don't
think that makes it any less important and we will continue to have a lot of
design discussion content on the calls.  We do have some important pending
design discussions on the table for 3.0, and once 2.3 goes out will be
dedicating more of the call time to them.
I wasn't suggesting that discussing p1s bugs is not important. However each component owner could do a bit of home work and prioritize those issues before call. Then you won't have to ask component owners if issue should be scheduled for this or for the next release, unless there is some ambiguity in scheduling. Also, it is not about boring. As you know there are technical issues (e.g. unpredictable sorting order) and it been practically impossible to follow the sequence of tasks remote person is iterating trough. Hopefully those will be addressed soon on bugs 216150 and 219540 (thnx to Frank Becker).

Another thing I noticed that list of design discussions listed on the meetings page is only growing over time, but response rate on the bug reports only decreased (generally understandable and it might be only related to my questions and bug reports). So your traditional "See you on the bug reports" isn't really happening lately and the weekly meetings is the only time when one can get any feedback from you and then if it isn't agreed on the call, it is pushed to the next week... Unfortunately there is only about 50 weeks between Eclipse releases and even less weeks between Mylyn releases.

 regards,
 Eugene

Back to the top