Re: [mylyn-dev] Fishtail - Using task context to automate web searches

Nathan Hapke wrote:
Eugene, the choice to make this a separate view was based on our goal to get the tool publicly available as fast as possible. Though in principle your suggestion of using the dynamic help or context search view makes some sense, I'm not really convinced that that would address the overall theme of your e-mail which seems to be one of saving screen real estate. In the amount that I've looked over people's shoulders to see the layout of their workbench on a day-to-day basis, I have yet to see somebody that leaves either view open. Either way, I see that as a possibility, but not something that's necessary at this point in time.
I do have "Dynamic Help" view opened as a "Fast View" or minimized and it allows to have quite large view panel without affecting the rest of workbench layout. It would save users space on the "Fast View" toolbar (which is already quite busy, mine has 10 views) if your search engine would be integrated right into the "Dynamic Help" or some other frequently used view.

As for Mylyn's experimental "Active Search" view, there is a hope that it will find its place on the screen. Though it doesn't seem like it is anywhere in the priorities for the project. There is also open issue that is suggesting to convert Active Search view into a "quick" panel, similar to quick outline (Ctrl-O) and quick hierarchy (Ctrl-T) popup dialogs.
Your final point about Mylyn having support for tracking external resources I see to be a completely orthogonal issue to our research question regarding the import of relevant web resources into the workbench. This tool doesn't make any attempt to manage or track Web resources, nor does it make any distinction between what information is webpage based or wiki-based or ...
Right, I do understand that you are not trying to manage or track resources, which is orthogonal to your tool. However my comment was related to the possible UI choice when relevant search results could appear next to the tracked resources right in the "Project Explorer" view.

 regards,
 Eugene

Back to the top